Why am I experiencing Sugar Cravings?
Sugar cravings are a common experience among many of our personal training clients. Whether you are a self-proclaimed sugar addict or you just have a sweet tooth, there are several reasons why you may crave sugar. Some of the most common reasons that we see individuals form sugar cravings will be covered in this article and we will be providing some solutions for each problem. Additionally, we will also be discussing the benefits of Gymnema sylvestre, a natural herb that can help with sugar cravings.
- Dehydration: Dehydration is a common cause of sugar cravings. When you are dehydrated, your body may send signals to your brain that you interpret as sugar cravings. This is because when you are dehydrated, your body may not be able to process glucose as efficiently, leading to a drop in blood sugar levels.
Solution: Drinking plenty of water throughout the day can help you stay hydrated and reduce your sugar cravings. Set yourself targets on the volume of water consumed for each hour of the day. As a strategy of some of our clients we will ask them to set reminders on their phone to consume water.
- Stress: Stress is another common reason why individuals crave sugar. When you are stressed, your body produces cortisol, a hormone that can increase your blood sugar levels. Eating sugar can provide a temporary boost of energy, which can help you cope with stress.
Solution: Finding healthy ways to manage stress, such as exercise or meditation, therapy, can help reduce your stress and sugar cravings.
- Lack of Sleep or poor quality sleep: When you do not get enough quality sleep, your body may produce more ghrelin, a hormone that can increase your appetite. This can lead to cravings for sugary foods and drinks.
Solution: Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep each night can help reduce your sugar cravings. For more tips view this article on sleep: https://www.somafitness.uk/the-most-important-free-muscle-building-component-that-everyone-should-be-prioritising/
- Nutrient Deficiencies: If you are not getting enough nutrients in your diet, your body may crave sugar as a way to get the energy it needs. For example, if you are not getting enough magnesium, your body may crave chocolate, which is high in magnesium.
Solution: Eating a nutrient dense diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, and protein sources can help reduce your sugar cravings. Getting a nutrient deficiency test can also be a useful way to pin point what nutrients that you may need to increase in your diet or supplementation.
- Habit: Sometimes, sugar cravings can become a habit. For example, if you always have a sweet treat after dinner, your body will always expect it.
Solution: Breaking the habit of eating sugar at a certain time or in a certain situation can help reduce your sugar cravings.
Gymnema sylvestre is a natural supplement that can help with sugar cravings. Gymnema sylvestre is an herb that has been used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine for centuries. It contains compounds that can help block the taste of sweetness, which can help reduce sugar cravings. Additionally, Gymnema sylvestre may also help reduce the absorption of sugar in the intestines, which can help regulate blood sugar levels.
In addition to its benefits for sugar cravings, Gymnema sylvestre has several other potential health benefits. For example, it may help lower cholesterol levels, reduce inflammation, and support healthy digestion.
Contact us to book in your consultation with a personal trainer near me in hale and altrincham.