Are Eccentrics more important for Hypertrophy?
Reference to Study: Sato et. al. (2022). Comparison between concentric-only, eccentric-only and concentric-eccentric resistance training of the elbow flexors for their effects on muscle strength and hypertrophy. EUR J APPL PHYSIOL
Details of the Study:
- Trainees performed 3×10 bicep curls 2x per week for 5 weeks
- 1 group only performed the concentric portion, another group only performed the eccentric portion and the last group performed both concentric and eccentric portions of the bicep curl.
- Note: The total volume load (weight x number of contractions) was double for the concentric+eccentric group.
- Despite this difference in load, it was found that biceps growth was similar between the concentric+eccentric group & the eccentric only group, whilst the concentric only group saw significantly less group.
- Therefore, the study supports the idea that the eccentric portion of the contraction is more important for growth
Real world application:
- Many people chasing muscle growth often rush the eccentric portion of lifts, allowing gravity to take the weight down instead of keeping the muscle under as much tension as they could to control the weight. Therefore, this study is part of the growing evidence why this is highly suboptimal for their training goal.
Leave a Comment